City of Bloomer
Regular Meeting of the Common Council
1503 Main Street
Bloomer, WI 54724
May 23rd, 2018, 5:30 p.m.
Pursuant to due call and notice thereof a regular meeting of the Common Council of the City of Bloomer was called to order on Wednesday, May 23rd, at 5:30 p.m. at City Hall, 1503 Main Street - Mayor Steinmetz presiding.
Roll call was taken: Mayor Steinmetz, Aldermen Meinen, Hofmann, Jones, Koehler, and Administrator Frion. Attorney Gustafson was absent.
All present gave pledge to the flag.
Alderman Koehler made a motion to approve the minutes from the May 9th, 2018 regular meeting as presented. Alderman Jones seconded the motion and all present voted aye.
Alderman Hofmann made a motion to approve all claims against the City and Utilities as presented. Alderman Meinen seconded the motion and all present voted aye. The claims were in the amounts listed below:
Checks Numbered: 82168 - 82293
General Fund: $ 39,951.33
Electric Fund: $ 317,314.05
Water Fund: $ 20,304.04
Sewer Fund: $ 42,041.19
TOTAL $ 419,610.61
Police Chief Zwiefelhofer has met with the Superintendent of the Bloomer School District regarding the School Resource Officer. At this time, the School District cannot assist with funding the position; therefore, the position will not be created for the 2018-19 school year. The City has received some of the parts for the pedestrian crosswalks. We are still waiting on the poles and a few other parts. Once everything is here, they will be installed.
There is no status update on the ETZ Ordinance repeal. Attorney Gustafson is waiting to hear from the Town of Woodmohr’s legal counsel. The Town of Bloomer has already revised their zoning map and has had their public hearing. Supervisor McFarlane inquired to see if the City would consider moving forward with the repeal agreement with just the Town of Bloomer in the event no progress is made with the Town of Woodmohr. Administrator Frion stated this was possibly an option but would need to be discussed at a future Council meeting. Administrator Frion stated that the City is partnering with the Community Club and the high school to provide real flowers on Main Street, rather than the fake flowers that are hung every year. Frion thanked the Bloomer Garden Club for their donation of purchasing two planters. As a class project, the students will grow the flowers and plant them.
The Bloomer Advance had a nice article recognizing EMS and Law Enforcement Week. Mayor Steinmetz thanked all of those personnel who work for the City of Bloomer.
Discussion took place regarding the current fire siren. There is a dead spot in the timing of the siren that sometimes disables it to work. Fire Chief Bleskacek feels it is important for the City to have the siren. Mayor Steinmetz would like to see what it would cost for a new siren.
Alderman Hofmann made a motion to approve Resolution #05-18 approving the 2017 Compliance Maintenance Report for the Wastewater Treatment Facility. Alderman Jones seconded the motion. Motion carried.
RESOLVED, that the City of Bloomer informs the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources that the following actions were taken by the Common Council of the City of Bloomer.
- Reviewed the Compliance Maintenance Annual Report which is attached to this resolution.
- Set forth the following actions necessary to maintain effluent requirements contained in the WPDES Permit:
Alderman Hofmann made a motion to approve an application for license to serve fermented malt beverages and intoxicating liquors for Betsy Seebold and Patrica Knudson. Alderman Koehler seconded the motion. Motion carried.
Alderman Jones made a motion to approve the following beer and/or liquor license from July 1, 2018 – June 30, 2019::
Class “B” Beer & “Class B” Liquor License
- Charles E. Bowe, Badger Hole, LLC – Badger Hole - 1019 15th Ave
- Bloomer Bowl, LLC – Jennifer R. Olson, Agent – Bloomer Bowl - 1319 Oak St.
- Richard Zwiefelhofer, Z-Bro, LLC – Harm’s Way Bar & Grill - 1103 15th Ave
- Martin J. Loew – Happy Hour Bar - 1318 Main St
- Shawn Hutton–The Next Place Bar & Grill-1602 Martin Road
- Bloomer Memorial Golf Course, Inc.- Elmer Erickson, Agent - 118 E 13th Ave
- Kellie Turner-A Secret Garden Floral & Gift - 1416 Main St
- Junior’s Bar, Inc. – Yvonne Marie Rubenzer, Agent - 1412 Main St
- Bloomer Moose Lodge No. 1077 – Brian D. Yohnk, Agent - 1890 9th Ave
- New to You, Eric J. Klein - 1325 15th Ave
- Lucinda Solie – The Corner Bar - 1430 Duncan Rd.
- Joaquin Lopez – Casa Mexicana-Bloomer – 1628 Woodard Road
- Heidi J. Bohl – Xpeditions, Inc. – 1319 Main Street
Class “B” Beer and “Class C” Wine License
- Dashing Duo, LLC., Dawn A. Knoepke (Bohemian Ovens), 905 Martin Rd
Class “A” Beer & “Class A” Liquor License
- CAP Operations - Jonathon Schmidt, Agent – Holiday #38-2016 17th Ave
- Leisureland South, Inc. - Patrick N. Shadick, Agent – Shadick’s Price Rite Foods-1303 Main Street
- Dolgencorp LLC.- Aaron Tagwerker, Agent – Dollar General Store #5871 - 1827 17th Avenue
- Kwik Trip, Inc., Anna Marie Jergenson, Agent – Kwik Trip #427-1625 Woodard Rd
Class “A” Beer
- River Country Co-op – Heather Barrows, Agent- (Bloomer Main) – 1300 Main St.
- River Country Co-op – Heather Barrows, Agent- (Bloomer Cenex) – 1115 Martin Road
Class “B” Beer
- Fat Boys Pizza, Inc. Jay D. Thompson, Agent – Fat Boy’s Pizza-1312 Main St
Alderman Meinen seconded the motion. Motion carried.
Alderman Hofmann made a motion to approve the following cigarette licenses from July 1, 2018 – June 30, 2019:
- Kwik Trip, Inc. - Kwik Trip #427 – 1625 Woodard Road
- CAP Operations, Inc. – Holiday #38 – 2016 17th Avenue
- Badger Hole, LLC – Badger Hole – 1019 15th Avenue
- Xpeditions, Inc. – Xpeditions – 1319 Main Street
- Leisureland South, Inc. – Shadick’s Price Rite Foods – 1303 Main Street
- River Country Coop – River Country Coop Main – 1300 Main Street
- Shawn Hutton – The Next Place Bar & Grill – 1602 Martin Road
- Junior’s Bar, Inc. – Junior’s Bar – 1412 Main Street
- River Country Coop – Bloomer Cenex – 1115 Martin Road
- Dolgencorp, LLC – Dollar General Store #5871 – 1827 17th Avenue
- Martin Loew – Happy Hour – 1318 Main Street
Alderman Meinen seconded the motion. Motion carried.
Alderman Koehler made a motion to approve a Juke Box/Live Music and Dancing license for the following from July 1, 2018 – June 30, 2019:
- Bloomer Moose Lodge #1077 – 1809 9th Avenue
- Badger Hole, LLC. – 1019 15th Avenue
- Xpeditions, Inc. – 1319 Main Street
- The Next Place Bar & Grill – 1602 Martin Road
- Junior’s Bar – 1412 Main Street
- Happy Hour – 1318 Main Street
- Bloomer Memorial Golf Course – 118 E. 13th Avenue
- Harm’s Way – 1103 15th Avenue
- Bloomer Bowl – 1319 Oak Street
The Fire Department is demonstrating a new ultra high-pressure pump that will take one drop of water and turn it into 64 drops when pressurized. Chief Bleskacek is proposing the purchase of a new pick-up truck that would house the pump. Bleskacek received a quote on a new truck from 2 truck dealers, which the City mechanic reviewed and stated that the trucks are very comparable. The Ford truck came in slightly cheaper. The Fire Association is still going to contribute $50,000 over a 5-year period. This unit would replace the purchase of a new tender as requested at the Joint Area meeting in September, 2017.
Alderman Hofmann made a motion allowing the Fire Department to move forward with ordering a new pick-up truck, up to the amount of $37,000, to house the ultra high-pressure pump pending the demonstration meets the Fire Association’s expectations of the unit. Alderman Jones seconded the motion. Motion carried.
Motion by Alderman Koehler to adjourn. Alderman Meinen seconded the motion. Motion carried.